Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) provides funding for medical aids and equipment to eligible Queensland residents who have a permanent and stabilised condition or a disability. The scheme helps people to live at home and avoid early or inappropriate residential care or hospitalisation.
The aids and equipment available are subsidy funded on a permanent loan basis, through private ownership or the supply of consumables. If you pay for more than 50% of the cost for an item, you can choose to take ownership, rather than having a permanent loan. However, this means that you are responsible for all repairs to that item.
You are eligible for MASS assistance if you:
- are a permanent resident of Queensland
- have a permanent/stable condition or disability
- hold a pensioner concession card, health care card or Queensland Government Senior Card
- meet specific clinical eligibility criteria relevant to the aid.
MASS provides subsidy funding towards medical aids and equipment endorsed by MASS including:
- continence aids
- communication aids
- daily living and mobility aids
- heat moisture exchangers
- home oxygen
- medical grade footwear
The following products are available through Independence Australia using MASS funding:
- disposable pads, nappies, pull-up style pants and all-in-one pants
- indwelling and disposable catheters
- catheter valves
- sheaths (latex and non-latex)
- leg and night drainage bags
- stretch pants (only supplied with non-adhesive shaped pads)
- medical air and gel cushions
- portable ramps
How to Apply
To apply for MASS assistance you need to be assessed by one of the following clinicians:
- Continence specialist registered nurse
- Occupational therapist
- Registered nurse
Reapplying for Same Aid
To reapply for the same type of continence aid (within 3 years) you will need to call MASS on 1300 443 570 and place an order. They will require the previous approval letter and know the type and brand name of the aid you used.
Review applications are required when the type of aid required is changed, or when it has been 3 years since the last application was reviewed. The initial application process will need to be repeated.
How to Apply
Independence Australia is an approved supplier for MASS.To place an order, please contact MASS directly and they will submit your orders to Independence Australia on your behalf.