Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Disability Support Worker FAQs

How physical is the job?

You need to be in good physical health as you’ll be active while bending, lifting and transferring consumers. Please note you’ll receive ongoing training in workplace safety and in manual handling skills to move consumers safely.

How available do I need to be?

You can be as flexible as you like for possible shifts in the early morning, evening, weekend work or overnight stays. It’s up to you to confirm your availability with us, but the more flexible and available you are the better.

Do I need to travel?

You’ll be expected to travel within reason, expect up to a 30 minute commute. But we do try to match you to clients as close as possible to your home. You’re welcome to accept only the consumers based in the locations you’re willing to visit. When we roster, we try to link multiple consumer shifts together to make the travel worthwhile for you.

Do I need a license to drive?

A license would be considered favourably.

What are the minimum training requirements?

Certificate III in Disability, Aged Care or Home and Community care (HACC) are desirable. If you don’t have these training requirements, our training division Field will be able to provide you with options.

How many hours can I work?

The number of shifts is up to you. This will depend on the work available in your local area and your willingness to travel to work outside your local area. Support workers can work as few as 15 hours a week, or as many as 35 hours depending on their flexibility and needs.

Do I need a work visa?

To be eligible for a position at Independence Australia you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa.
Disability Support Worker Assisting Lady down stairs